Various music-related web sites and software.
See also music-related research papers.
Analysis of musical structure
Notation, scores, and editors
- notat.io Message boards about music notation.
Some very knowledgeable participants.
a textual Latex-like notation language,
and software that renders it graphically.
Feature-rich, and the site explores notational issues.
Supports proportional notation and grid lines.
- MuseScore: desktop score editor.
Open source. Uses MusicXML or its own file format.
Used to support LilyPond; no longer does.
- Noteflight: web-based score editor.
- Finale: desktop score editor, commercial.
- Sibelius: desktop score editor. Commercial, limited version is free.
No "export" option AFAIK.
- Ardour: Open-source DAW
- ScoreCloud. Web-based score editor. Save to local file only if pay.
- Flat. Web-based score editor.
- A course in music notation at Stanford
- IMSLP: archive of public domain
music scores (PDF).
- forScore: app to display PDF scores.
- MIDIUtil Lightweight Python library for generating MIDI files.
- Midi-writer: a possibly better library for this
- Music 21 fancy python toolkit for computational musicology
- JythonMusic: python music and graphics
- SCAMP: time deformations in Python?
online courses by my friend Marc Sabatella:
MuseScore, basic theory, harmony, counterpoint.
an app follows along with you in the score.
They sell the scores, which are in a proprietary format.
a piano instruction method where you play along with
simplified interactive scores,
and the computer plays other parts so it sounds good.
Cool idea, pretty well done.
- Smartmusic. Music-teaching software.
Audio rendering (MIDI to audio)
a piano VST based on modeling rather than sampling
(which provides various advantages).
Sounds really good.
Win MIDI player for VST instruments.
Looks unmaintained for a few years?
MIDI player w VST. Win?
- Soundfont MIDI Player Win, VST
- Vienna Ensemble Pro 7
Mc/Win, VST. $213. Lets you control via Ethernet
- Piano VST instruments
- Kontakt - the 'definitive sampling platform'. I have no idea
what this means.
- Scala: software for defining scales and exporting them in synth-specific formats.
Spatialization and HRTFs
Audio I/O libraries